Atlas Obscura is seeking a brand designer to join our Brand Design team. Reporting to the Senior Designer, the Brand Designer will be responsible for applying our branding and producing graphics for the company (including social graphics and templates, ad campaigns, icons, and swag). If you have a passion for the unusual, the bold, and the quirky, if you can bring conceptually strong and well-executed designs from start to finish, and have a solid understanding of typography and other design fundamentals, then we want to hear from you!
Atlas Obscura is a remote-first company, so you can work from anywhere within the continental United States or Canada.
- Visual design for corporate and product branding, campaigns, social posts and templates.
- Evolution of the branding within the brand guidelines
- Photography research and selection
- Updating and providing new design elements for website; occasional visual design of promotional micro-sites
- Working on projects from concept to finish. Some projects will be straightforward support or production projects, while others will encourage conceptual thinking and big ideas.
- Collaborating with other teams, such as Product Design, Marketing, Social and Editorial: listening, asking questions, and supporting other teams' needs while executing high-quality work.
Skills and Qualifications
- 2-4 years of experience as a branding or graphic designer.
- Solid design fundamentals (e.g.; typography, layout, composition, color) are showcased through a refined and inspiring portfolio. You care about details and competent execution.
- Strategy: Your designs are built on concepts, strategy and brand values. You’re not following trends, you’re consciously applying concepts to strong visual representation. We welcome your big ideas, imaginative problem solving, and ability to tell a story.
- Expertise with the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to confidently share your work at any stage of your process with a variety of internal audiences.
- A willingness to give and receive feedback, explore new ideas, and take risks.
- Curiosity: You ask questions, you’re excited to research and discover, you’re willing to try new things.
- Adaptability: Things can change fast, and we’re looking for someone who can respond quickly to shifting needs. We also encourage applicants with hidden talents (do you have illustration skills? Are you an amateur photographer? Do you dabble in motion design, or have a background in product, copywriting, animation, or packaging? We want to hear about it!).
- A passion for Atlas Obscura’s mission of inspiring wonder and curiosity about the incredible world we all share.
About Atlas Obscura
Atlas Obscura is an award-winning travel company founded in 2009. Widely celebrated for building the definitive, community-driven guide to the world's hidden wonders, the company also offers unique online and in-person experiences, produces once-in-a-lifetime trips, and has published two New York Times bestselling books with more than a million copies in print. Atlas Obscura has been nominated for three National Magazine Awards, a James Beard Award, three Webby Awards, and in 2020 was named one of Inc. 5000’s fastest-growing companies. Having raised a $20M, Series B led by Airbnb last summer, Atlas Obscura is well-positioned for growth.