Audience Development Fellow
Atlas Obscura is a media and experiences company dedicated to sharing the world’s hidden wonders. The company was founded in 2009 as a user-created compendium of the world's most incredible places, and these days produces award-winning journalism and chart-topping podcasts, leads unique guided trips all around the world, and has published three consecutive New York Times best selling books.
We are seeking an Audience Development Fellow to join our award-winning social media team. In this role, you will work closely with the Audience Development team to assist in the management of the Atlas Obscura social media accounts, our user-generated content strategy, and our database of social swap partners. This role will also work with the team to create and package stories and content to reach new audiences. This is a great fellowship if you’re passionate in social media, editorial distribution strategy, finding new audiences, and analytics. You’ll work alongside our Audience Development team to invigorate growth on our social channels with curiosity, personality, and a sense of fun.
This entry-level position includes pay ($22,500/six months), offers benefits, and lasts six months with an intended start date during the month of January 2024.
Our fellowships are full-time jobs, but they also offer training and learning opportunities to individuals who have not yet established themselves in the field. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
- Share responsibility for the daily production of Facebook and Instagram posts, tweets, and other social content
- Help manage our new user-generated content (UGC) strategy, reaching out to content creators across social to encourage partnerships
- Help manage our database of social swap partners, including reporting performance on content and pitching partners weekly
- Assist with other social media and analytics projects
- Help maintain the content calendar for editorial content with respect to other company-wide initiatives
- Work with the team to identify new initiatives and platforms to expand Atlas Obscura’s reach
- Monitor trending topics across social to pitch social or editorial coverage
- Ability to write compelling, clean, and exciting social copy, tailored to audiences and platforms
- A keen eye for social copywriting and packaging content across different platforms and the different audiences across all age groups
- Experience using the Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, or Canva to create social graphics
- Strong attention to detail
- Good communication skills
- Self motivated and able to work independently in a fast-paced remote work environment
- Knowledge of the social media landscape and what makes content pop on major social platforms—where things are and where they’re going
- Familiarity with major social media platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter/X
- Entrepreneurial instincts, a hands-on attitude, a healthy sense of humor, and a passion for Atlas Obscura’s mission of finding and reporting on the coolest things on the planet
- Ability to speak authentically to multigenerational audiences
- Experience using social platform reporting tools, including Facebook Insights and Twitter Analytics
- Experience using project management systems, such as AirTable or Asana