[Freelance] Contributing Producer
- Contracted to Full Time
- Mid Level
Atlas Obscura is seeking a part-time contributing producer to work on its new daily podcast. The successful candidate will be curious, quick,highly creative and comfortable multitasking. The stories we make on this show are short bursts of wonder -- each sound-rich episode is less than 15 minutes and is designed to take the listener on an audio journey around the globe. As a contributing producer, you’ll help shape these stories and have a regular role on the show.
Note, Atlas Obscura is a remote-first company, so you can work from anywhere within the continental United States.
Specifically, you will:
- Research and prep interviews, book guests and recording sessions, cut tape, write scripts, add music, incorporate edits
- Provide smart, targeted editorial feedback and a skilled, creative ear
- Assist the team in meeting all ongoing deadlines and managing fast turnarounds as needed
- Work collaboratively in a team environment to create a supportive and efficient production process
What you’ll have:
- 2+ years’ experience in content development and/or production for podcast, terrestrial or satellite radio, or similar audio medium
- 2+ years’ experience of journalistic writing and reporting
- Experience with Pro Tools or similar audio editing software
- The ability to juggle and jump between multiple creative projects
- Superb script writing and research skills showing originality and humor
- Creative problem-solving in editing stories and interviews
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Passion for Atlas Obscura’s mission of instilling a sense of wonder in our audience
The show is a co-production with Witness Docs from Stitcher, and the candidate will work closely with members of both organizations.
Compensation is competitive and on a per-episode basis. At Atlas Obscura we believe exploration is for everyone and encourage diverse applicants. We are committed to an equitable hiring process and an inclusive work environment.
To apply for this role, please submit your resume and cover letter detailing your qualifications and interest.
About Atlas Obscura
Atlas Obscura is an award-winning travel company founded in 2009. Widely celebrated for building the definitive, community-driven guide to the world's hidden wonders, the company also offers unique online and in-person experiences, produces once-in-a-lifetime trips, and has published two New York Times bestselling books with more than a million copies in print. Atlas Obscura has been nominated for three National Magazine Awards, a James Beard Award, three Webby Awards, and in 2020 was named one of Inc. 5000’s fastest-growing companies. Having raised a $20M, Series B led by Airbnb last summer, Atlas Obscura is well-positioned for growth.