Executive Director, Atlas Obscura Brand Studios
- Full Time
- Senior Manager/Supervisor
Atlas Obscura is looking for a driven, seasoned professional to help lead our growing branded content studio.
Founded in 2008, Atlas Obscura recently completed a $20 million Series B funding round led by Airbnb and is poised for strong growth in the brand partnerships space. At its core, Atlas Obscura believes in surfacing magic and wonder, and we seek to bring that very spirit of magic and wonder to the work we do with brands, which has included Chase, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and more.
This role will help lead growing branded content studio and will primarily act as a head of post-sale, bringing sold ideas to life — leading, coaching, and mentoring a multi-disciplinary team on an in-the-trenches, day-to-day basis. You will also help lead our overall strategy and approach to branded content with Atlas Obscura’s Vice President, Revenue. This is an opportunity to build an award-winning brand studio from the ground up.
Atlas Obscura is a remote-first company. This position may be based anywhere within reasonable driving distance to Los Angeles or New York City.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Execution: You will hold the responsibility for bringing creative ideas to life through post-sale execution, managing and mentoring department leads across video, written/social and media, with an eye toward building highly scalable processes and operations to ensure flawless campaign execution.
Client Services: You will manage client-facing account managers who will quarterback the execution process, and will participate in senior, client-facing conversations related to campaign/project execution as needed.
Ideation: While ideation will primarily rest in the pre-sale marketing organization, you and your team will contribute to client brainstorms as needed by producing treatments and concepts.
Strategy: Along with the VP of Revenue and Head of Sales, you will set strategy related to overall approach to brand partnerships.
- You are a great manager and mentor
- You are operations-minded, love building process, and ideally have experience building and scaling a team in a high growth organization.
- You are a scrappy, dexterous, and creative problem solver who Is relentless in your pursuit of delivering the highest quality work for clients
- You are extremely creative and an out-of-the-box thinker — you stay on top of industry trends and have a passion for innovation.
- You are a great communicator, who has the ability to work cross-functionally across a media organization and can communicate complex information to the highest level of a client; you have a high degree of diplomacy
- You are relentless in the pursuit of excellence and highly and are highly diplomatic.
- You have the ability to be in-the-weeds and hands-on, as well as function at a 30,000 foot, highly strategic level
- You have a keen eye for aesthetics and design, and high taste levels for written, video and experiential storytelling. You also have an eye for the quirky, unexpected, and unique
- You are extremely organized and detail-oriented.
- You have a passion for execution; you know the sale really starts as soon as the IO is signed.
- 10+ years of marketing experience in some combination of: brand strategy, branded content, with at least 5 years of experience managing and growing teams and helping them establish their vision and evolution.
- Played an active leadership role within a branded content studio (or the equivalent)
- Experience executing across a variety of branded content forms, including written, video, social, and experiential
- Experience navigating rights and talent issues
- Experience growing and scaling a team
Compensation is competitive and includes equity. Benefits for full-time employees include generous time off policy, family leave, and contributions toward health, dental, and vision for both employee and family. We value diversity and are committed to an inclusive work environment and a fair and consistent interview process.
ABOUT ATLAS OBSCURA
Atlas Obscura is an award-winning travel company founded in 2009. Widely celebrated for building the definitive, community-driven guide to the world's hidden wonders, the company also offers unique online and in-person experiences, produces once-in-a-lifetime trips, and has published two New York Times bestselling books with more than a million copies in print. Atlas Obscura has been nominated for three National Magazine Awards, a James Beard Award, three Webby Awards, and in 2020 was named one of Inc. 5000’s fastest growing companies. Having raised a $20M, Series B led by Airbnb last summer, Atlas Obscura is well-positioned for growth.