Director, Production - Brand Studios
- Full Time
- Senior Manager/Supervisor
Founded in 2008, Atlas Obscura recently completed a $20 million Series B funding round led by Airbnb and is growing rapidly. At its core, Atlas Obscura believes in surfacing magic and wonder, and we seek to bring that very spirit of magic and wonder to the work we do with brands, which have included Chase, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and more.
We are looking for a Director of Production for our Brand Studios team. The ideal candidate is comfortable with various different product offerings and production environments from video, audio, experiential and written deliverables. The Director, Production role will be responsible and comfortable leading a team of various production roles and oversee multiple concurrent campaigns. They will be expected to assist in facilitating departmental guidelines and protocols and ensuring their teams apply them consistently. You should be a top-notch project manager with deep understanding of digital content, remarkable editing and writing skills, a well-developed freelancer network, and a commitment to excellence. You should also be excited by Atlas Obscura’s mission to inspire our audience with wonder and curiosity about the world.
- Assign Producers to programs as they sell in and other various resource management items in relation to campaigns
- Review and approve all Brand Studio budgets and timelines for a multitude of pre-sale responses for various product offerings from video, audio, experiential and written within department guidelines
- Supervise and assign a team of various production roles from Producers to Production Managers
- Report into the Executive Director, Brand Studios and assist in implementation of product execution best practices, guidelines and infrastructure buildout to ensure day to day protocol compliance for all campaigns from pre-sale through campaign wrap
- Ensure business requirements are met and oversee that campaigns are adhering to internal processes with regards to financial, legal, creative and programmatic expectations.
- Supervise all active campaigns and report budgetary and risk concerns as they arise
- Continually review and audit department production systems, policies and procedures and report deviations and/or suggestions to improve and lower operational costs
- Foster a rolodex of above and below the line production contractor and vendor talent across productions
- Lead the execution and development of complex, creative branded content programs, including written, video, audio, experiential, multimedia, and social content programs and ensure proper documentation of campaigns from wrap books, vendor and contractor paperwork, overage / scope change communication, etc.
- Contribute to cross-team brainstorms, applying your content and creative expertise to help ideate and position advertiser programs
- Build systems of cross-team collaboration to ensure timely, high-quality delivery of all elements of content programs.
- 6-10 years of production management experience
- Comfortable building out budgets and overseeing the production execution on a multitude of product offerings
- Has managerial experience in the build out of policies and procedures
- Familiar with budgeting, scheduling, permitting, licencing and releases, production financial requirements, talent acquisition, insurance compliance, cost reporting and tracking, etc.
- Skilled in production basics from equipment, post production, labor laws, legal compliance, scheduling and managing vendors
- Must be computer savvy with skills in G-Suite, Microsoft Office, and various production management tools such as budgeting and cost tracking
- Comfortable in domestic and international production environments
- Expertise in emerging digital content platforms and technologies as well as a deep understanding of content distribution strategies.
- Ability to work in a small team and lead staff and direct freelancers
- Ability to take ownership of and execute programs that deliver on client KPIs and to quickly shift gears and deliver project elements in a timely manner.
- College degree required
- Take pride in your organizational and record keeping skills
- Excel at time management and leading a highly efficient team
- Have a keen eye for detail and effective communication
- You are a strategic and original thinker with proven problem-solving abilities
- You are insatiability curious and love learning
- You have a strong work ethic with a roll-up-your-sleeves, can-do attitude
- You are hungry to work as a part of a fast-growing organization and shepard a team
- Experience with Keynote a plus.
To apply for this role, please submit your resume and a cover letter detailing your qualifications and interest.
Compensation is competitive. Benefits for full-time employees include a generous time-off policy, family leave, and contributions toward health, dental, and vision for both employee and family. We value diversity and are committed to an inclusive work environment and a fair and consistent interview process.